Friday, September 24, 2010

Apple Butter








Recipe:
4 1/2 lbs. tart cooking apples, cored and quartered
(about 14 medium)
3 cups apple cider or juice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
Combine apples and juice in a heavy stockpot. Simmer, covered for about 30 mins.
Press through a food mill or sieve.
Return pulp to stockpot. You should have about 8 1/2 cups.
Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice.
Simmer uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours until mixture mounds on a spoon.
Stir often.
Ladle into hot half pint canning jars.
Process in a boiling water canner for about 5 minutes.
Makes about 8 half pint jars.
Note: Leesa and I put our pulp spice combo in the crockpot on low for about 6 hours. I had to remove the lid for the last 2 hours and constantly stir to get it to thicken up.
We also tripled the recipe and had no problems.
This was soooooo yummy mixed into cream of wheat this morning!
If you have other good uses for apple butter let me know.
This is the first time I have ever made it or eaten it.
I can't believe what I have been missing.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment