Sunday, May 22, 2011

In My Kitchen

There were some amazing spring onions in my CSA box this week!

It inspired me to make my Caramelized Onion Quiche.

It was sooo delicious I thought I would share my recipe.

You will need about 7-8 cups sliced onions & 6 tbls. butter.

Add them to a large skillet and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until carmel colored.

It will take about 20 minutes or more.


While I am caramelizing the onions I make my pie crust.

I use my Grandmother's recipe.

Spread 2 tbls. dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust & bake for 9 minutes at 450 degrees.


This is what your onions should look like.

Once the onions are finished & while my pie crust is baking, I put 4 oz cream cheese & 1/2 cup milk in a blender and blend until smooth.


I add 5 eggs, some salt & pepper to the blender & blend.



Then I begin layering my filling.

1 cup of grated cheese.


The caramelized onions.


Top with another cup grated cheese & then add the egg mixture.


Bake at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes.

Check for a set center and a slightly browned top.

You can adjust this recipe and use any combination of veggies, meats, or cheese.

Some of my favorites are asparagus & red onion, spinach & bacon, or broccoli & ham.

This is by far one of my favorite things to make.

Only because I love eating it soo much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment