Sunday, January 20, 2013

Vegan Cream of Spinach Soup

This was an experiment that went Oh So Right!
It was surprisingly delicious.
I had a TON of spinach.  I had bought 2 bags at Trader Joe's & then got another bag in my CSA box.
I needed a serious spinach recipe.
This little experiment worked out perfectly.
Unfortunately I wasn't planning on sharing the recipe so I don't have pictures of the whole process.
I will do my best with describing my process so maybe you won't even need pictures.
 

In 2 Tbls. olive oil sauté 1 chopped onion & 4 minced cloves of garlic.
 


While the onions & garlic are sautéing, you can work on your "cream".
I added 3/4 cup raw soaked cashews & 3/4 cup water to my Magic Bullet and blend until smooth.
I soaked the cashews for about 45 minutes before I used them.
I then added the "cream" and 2 quarts veggie broth to my onion mixture in the pot.
 

 
Next I chopped 4 small potatoes and added them to the pot.
Then I dumped what would be about 2 bags full of spinach into the pot.
Bring pot to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Once veggies are tender blend the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in the regular blender.
Pour soup back into the pot and season generously with salt and pepper.
Simmer until ready to serve.
 

Souper simple, very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment