Monday, February 28, 2011

It's Almost Time For Some Irish-American Corned Beef

Yes.
I am a nerd.
I love St. Patrick's Day.
More than Christmas.
I am Irish.
I have been to Ireland.
I love it.
I am elated right now that tomorrow is the 1st of March!
I can officially make this recipe once a week and not get strange looks.
I call this recipe Irish - American because while in Ireland, we ate at a different pub, in a different Irish town every night and no where to be found was anything close to corned beef n cabbage.
When we asked a B & B owner about this she explained that it was an Irish - American thing.
That's ok by me.
I still love it.
Get out your slow cooker.
In the bottom throw in a bag o' baby carrots, about 8 cubed potatoes, & 2 medium onions cut into wedges.

Set a 3lb corned beef brisket on top o' the veggies.

Sprinkle the seasoning packet over the top. (If there was one)

Add 2 tbls. cider vinegar, 2 tbls. sugar, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 4 cups hot water to the pot.

Cook on high heat for 6 hours.

Remove the lid and put one head o' cabbage cut into wedges on top.

Replace the lid and cook for an additional 2 hours. (I forgot to take a picture of this. Lame, I know.)

Carve the beef into thick slices or shred (if it's that tender) and serve with the veg & some wholegrain Irish mustard.

It is sooo good.

If you are lucky enough to be Irish, than you are lucky enough! :)


I linked up to:

Today's Creative Blog
&

No comments:

Post a Comment