Thursday, April 28, 2011

In My Kitchen

Beets!

Yes, I said Beets!

Not only are they good for you, they taste good.

They are also super easy to prepare.

If the only beet you have ever had is the pickled kind..........

you need to try a fresh beet.

Serious.

Give the beets a good scrub under cold running water.

Remove the top & bottom.

Place in a pot.

Cover with water just a couple of inches over the top of the beets.

Then boil until tender when poked with a fork.

Remove beets from hot water & let cool for a few minutes.
Remove the skin by either peeling it with your fingers or use a paring knife.
(The skin usually just slides right off)
I sliced my beets in thin rounds but you could also cut into chunks.

I used Chioggia & Golden beets from Whole Foods Market.
They are beautiful!
I love them plain, tossed into a green salad or I use this recipe:

Beet Salad
2 lbs. chopped, cooked, chilled beets
Make a dressing using 4 Tbls. olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbls. red wine vinegar, 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped), 2 scallions (chopped), coarse sea salt.
Gently toss beets with dressing and serve.

You can find more information & recipes here!

No comments:

Post a Comment