Monday, April 25, 2011

StRaWbErRy JaM

Yummm!





I love berries!





It's currently strawberry season & I am elated.





Strawberry Jam is our 3rd favorite.










Every season I end up making about 6 cases of Strawberry Jam.





We have some regular customers that buy jam from us.





It makes the most delicious PB&J sandwiches & it's a great last minute gift.






You will need to start with 2 quarts washed, stemmed, quartered berries.





It doesn't matter if they are a little overripe, as long as they are not molded.





Our local fruit n veg stand offers a discount for day old berries.






Place them in a heavy pot & mash the berries with a potato masher.

Then add one package powdered fruit pectin & 1 tsp butter.

On high heat stir constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.

Add 7 cups of sugar all at once.
Return to boiling and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.


Remove from heat.






I keep my jars waiting in a boiling water bath until I am ready to use them.
I work very quick and remove the jars with tongs.
I don't worry about the lids until after I have filled my jars with the jam.


Skim any foam off the top using a metal spoon.

Then using a ladle fill your jars, leaving a 1/4" headspace.


I wipe the rims of my jars using damp paper towels.

I then remove my lids & rings from the hot water.

Adjust lids and screw on rings nice and tight.



Process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes (don't start the timer until the water is at a full boil).


Note: If you live at a high elevation, like me, you will need to add an additional 1 minute for each 1,000 feet of elevation.

I do 10 minutes, which is probably more than I need, but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry.


Also, my "canner" is just a giant enamel stock pot purchased from Wal Mart & my canning rack that fits inside is from Sur La Table.


I couldn't wait to try some.

I immediately made a peanut butter & jam mini bagel.

It was sooooo good!



For some really cute labels & decorating ideas try:


Postcards & Pretties


Martha Stewart


The Sweetest Occasion





I am sharing at:

Debbiedoos


&





Thirty Hand Made Days

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Now I'm wishing I had used some strawberries a friend gave us last week for jam instead of cereal topping. Bummer!

    Found you through the newbie party and am a new follower. Would love for you to hop over to www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com and follow me!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. How 'bout sendin some of that jam up my way?? LOL! Great blog. I'm here from Debbie's party and happy to be your newest follower. Stop by for a visit sometime.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy that looks good! You made it look so easy too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try making jam, homemade is the best! My Mamie used to make it for us when we were younger. You did make it look pretty easy! I might have to give it a try. I'm now a follower & would love for you to come by my blog for a visit sometime & maybe a follow back! Allison @ leomommyof4.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete