Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Easy Homemade Laundry Soap

My girlfriend Leesa and I adapted the traditional laundry soap recipes after we discovered that one of the main ingredients Fels Naptha is a petroleum based product.
I am not a fan of petroleum.
I then simplified the recipe even more just to make it easier on me. I have 4 kids I don't have time to make laundry soap with several steps. So this is my "easy" version.
I have been using it for about 8 weeks and it is working really well.
All you need is: 55oz box of Washing Soda & a bar of Pure-Castille Soap.
I finely grated the soap and mix it with the box of washing soda.

To my load I add one scoop (2 Tbls.) of my mixture and one scoop (2 Tbls.) of borax.
I use a small oxy clean scoop, it measures about 2 Tbls.
I also use fabric softener. I use Ecological Ecover.
For the locals, Mar Val carries the borax and the washing soda.
I buy my castille soap and my fabric softener from Whole Foods
but you can also order them online.

Note: Yes, Borax is harmful if inhaled. I don't typically snort my laundry products, so I am not to concerned.
Here's the cost breakdown:
Dr. Bronner's Fair Trade Castille Soap $4.19 per bar
Arm & Hammer's Washing Soda $4.29 per box
20 Mule Team Borax $2.99 per box
One batch will do about 48 loads of laundry.
That's .24 cents per load.

No comments:

Post a Comment