Monday, June 20, 2011

Un"list"ed Summer

I know it's been awhile since I have blogged. Bad blogger!!! It has been a crazy couple months to say the very least. We had 2 of our kids graduate from high school and move to San Luis Obispo. It was a happy, sad, strange, exciting, depressing experience all at once. I have lots of pictures to share but I didn't feel up to reliving it all today.


As I was driving home from dropping the kids of in San Luis last night I was thinking about our summer to do list & it really started to stress me out. I came home and promptly threw it in the trash. A bit dramatic......I know.


I was just starting to feel overwhelmed by the idea of having to do things because it's on a big bold list that everyone can see and hold me accountable to. I don't want that.


Our entire school year was so structured and full of lists and projects and obligations.


I decided I need a break.


No lists, no plans, no projects, no obligations.


Here's how this will work.......


I will wake up in the morning and drink my coffee.


About an hour later the little girls will wake up.


They will say "Mom what are we going to do today?"


I will say "What do you want to do today?"


They will say something like "Let's go to a movie, take a hike, go visit Butter n Sissy, go camping, go shopping, work in the yard, go visit Butter n Sissy, make ice cream, lay around in our pj's and watch TV, go visit Butter n Sissy, go to the library."


I will say "Let's do it."


Simple.


We will do whatever we feel like doing on any given day.


It's the ultimate in flexibility.


Just what our family needs right now.


Empty rooms in our house.


Moving my kids away has been one of the hardest things I have ever done.


It really hit me hard.
It was also a big ol' wake up call.
The message.......slow down and savour every single simple moment with your children.


In the blink of an eye you will wake up one morning and they will be grown.


The reason behind my "unlisted summer."


I want to take this summer as slow as possible, try to be in the moments with my kids and give them the freedom to do whatever, whenever.


I do love the summer list idea.


We have done it for years.


I just can't wrap my brain around it this summer.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful,healthy idea! I think I'm going to try and loosen up from now on and go with the flow, I always feel so uptight... Thanks for the idea, Love, Uncle Jeff.

    ReplyDelete